Sunday 15 May 2011

Interview with Elizabeth Milner


Artist’s Name: Elizabeth Milner

Where Exhibiting: 5 William Henry Street


Tell us about your art practice, what kind of stuff do you do and what is your work about?

My practice combines elements of textile art, crafts, set-designing, prop-making, photography and critical analysis. Using the miniature setting as my stage, I create intriguing installations with an unsettling undertone.


What motivates you to be an artist?

I am constantly inspired by all varieties of exciting and engaging art and culture. The interesting ideas and debates that are formed in my own mind as a result of such stimulus leads me to reflect and produce work in my own way.


Tell us about other projects you are working on?

I am participating in a project called the Yorkshire Art Loop, I am awaiting the delivery of a piece of artwork on the 11th July, when I will have two weeks to respond and create my own piece which I will then post on to the next recipient. Also, I am currently the Audience Engagement Intern at South Square in Thornton, delivering events and workshops to the visitors of the South Square Centre. I also work at Pop Up art space in Bradford as a volunteer coordinator, furthering my career within the gallery sector.


How did you get started as an artist?

Whilst studying for a BA in Textiles and Fashion, I realised that the process of design didn’t provide me with enough stimulation. My work needed to be more critically engaging, so I began to tailor my practice towards a gallery environment by giving the work a third dimension and narrative.


What will you be exhibiting at the Saltaire Arts Trail?

A subtle and surprising installation that plays on voyeurism within the domestic environment, and the use of a home as an exhibiting space.


Have you participated or visited the Saltaire Arts Trail before? What did you think of our previous events?

I have visited the arts trail before and have always enjoyed the experience, so it is a privilege to now be taking part.


Could you leave us with one more interesting fact about yourself or your work?

I have a controlled obsession with art, fashion and culture magazines and other printed matter!

No comments:

Post a Comment