Tuesday 27 August 2013

Frances Noon Jewellery - Makers' Fair Festival Special - Q & A















Tell us about the work you do and the types of materials you use.
I make silver jewellery & small sculptures. The jewellery has a main theme of birds & animals & I developed this into slightly larger pieces in copper & brass with wooden mounts.

Where do you produce your work? Does your working environment form part of the inspiration for your art?
My studio is attached to my house & yes I look out into the garden & watch my hens & other garden birds, so it does help feed my work.

Is your art your main job? How did you get started?
I would say it is my main passion but it can be isolating if that is all you do. So I do part time work too which keeps me in touch with other people & also uses my creative abilities.

What work will you be exhibiting at the Saltaire Festival Makers’ Fair Special?
Jewellery & small sculptures.

Do you work in any other mediums besides the work you will be exhibiting at the Makers’ Fair Special?
I used to be a printmaker, I also made artist’s books. I suppose I use a lot of these skills with my 3d work now.

Where else can we see and buy your work?
I stock various shops around the country, currently my jewellery is in The Leeds Craft & Design Shop. I’m exhibiting at The Great Northern craft Fair in Manchester in October 2013.

Tell us about your most exciting or memorable commission?
I made a silver pendant for The British Museum in 2011. It was a version of Alan Measles, Grayson Perry’s teddy bear. He curated an exhibition - The Tomb of the Unknown Craftsman. My pendant went on sale in the BM shop.

What was it about the Saltaire Festival Makers’ Fair Special that made you want to apply to exhibit?
I’ve been to see it & know it is a high standard, also it is relatively local to me.

Frances Noon Jewellery will taking part in the Makers' Fair Festival Special




No comments:

Post a Comment