Monday 9 September 2013

Abundant Glass - Makers' Fair Festival Special - Q & A



Tell us about the work you do and the types of materials you use.
I work with sheets of art glass, recycled glass, and glass powders. I combine these using a variety of techniques and fuse together at temperatures around 800C in my kiln. My finished pieces have often been worked on and fired in the kiln several times before being finished by hand polishing.

Where do you produce your work? Does your working environment form part of the inspiration for your art?
We have converted our garage in to a studio for me with the help of an ebay kitchen. All my work is produced at home. I take my inspiration from many things including being lucky enough to live in the Pennines. Some of my work is inspired by the landscapes around me.

Is your art your main job? How did you get started?
No. I started four years ago when I received a glass gift from a friend and wanted to learn how to make it. I signed up for a Saturday school and bought the equipment I needed to start a week later. I’ve always been creative but never found the right medium. I’m passionate about glass, the combination of light, colour and technique keeps me endlessly creative. Since my first course I have attended many more including two master classes with internationally reknown artists Miriam Di Fiore and Bob Leatherbarrow. I reduced my ‘day job’ to four days to give me a day a week to work with glass. I also find I spend much of my weekends and evenings doing the same.

What work will you be exhibiting at the Saltaire Festival Makers’ Fair Special?
Glass wall hangings, sculptural pieces and functional items. In particular my gorgeous glass rainbow (my biggest seller) Pennine houses, coasters celebrating the Tour de France coming to Yorkshire (pictures of cyclists in local scenery)’ and ‘crackle’ dishes and coasters.

Where else can we see and buy your work?
Spirals in Hebden Bridge, Mill on the Bridge in Skipton, Hebden Bridge and Halifax Tourist info, GinaB glass in Halifax, My online Folksy shop

Tell us about your most exciting or memorable commission?
Eight awards for the Big Life Company in Manchester each detailing one of their values e.g. Creative, Inspiring etc

What was it about the Saltaire Festival Makers’ Fair Special that made you want to apply to exhibit?
Having spent many years living in Bradford (Heaton) I have a lot of fondness for Saltaire and have been a regular visitor to the Makers Fair and Art Festival. They have always been great days out for me and I have always been very impressed by the quality of items on sale. I am delighted to be part of this event this year although a also a little sad not to be enjoying it as a punter.

Could you leave us with one more interesting fact about yourself or your work?
I am a keen cyclist having done both Land’s End to John O’Groats and Geneva to Nice over the highest road in Europe. I am very excited about the Tour de France coming to Yorkshire and this is influencing my current work. I am also a bit of a geek and this too can be seen in some of my work.

Abundant Glass will be exhibiting at the Makers' Fair Festival Special

No comments:

Post a Comment